Finally found time to update this blog with some works from last term! Classes got canceled this afternoon so I stayed up late and woke up early to get all my homework done for nothing (not to mention being stuck in traffic for an hour on my way home). I'm suddenly (miraculously) in the mood to get something done instead of lazing around on a free day...so here's an update to make myself feel "productive".
Starting off with stuff from last term....
Mold making and casting - This class was such a painnnnn because most of the assignments required me to work in the school's industrial building. Mold making is really all about trial and error which was extremely frustrating since I barely had time to go back and redo my projects. It was also hard to find parking by the industrial building so I usually had to park in our school's underground parking lot and then dragged all my materials down six blocks in the freezing cold (morning class) to get to class. Breathed in a lot of smelly chemicals and made my studio a mess, HOWEVER I did learn a lot and enjoyed it for the most part. Also familiarized myself with a lot of machines in the building (band saw, sanding machines, lathe, etc.)
Looks like chocolate!
It's actually a piece of carved foam dipped in melted brown clay. I took a piece of hard foam and carved/turned it on a lathe to create the basic shape of my cup/pot. Then dipped it into melted clay and returned it to the lathe again to clean up.
Am I speaking alien?
Trimmed off top. This is only the prototype, for the final cast we poured in clay slip to make usable cups.
Top Right: Silicone we used for the reusable mold. Can only be handled in dish washing soap or it'll stick all over your hands. All the skin on my hand died and peeled after this project =(
Bottom Right: Putting silicone over my cast/pattern.
Gooey purple silicone!
Tried to take apart my mold and it was stuck together!! My mold release failed on me.... ended up cutting it with a knife that was too short to make a proper cut...
And it broke my pattern...
All my project in one photo (the stuff in the back isn't mine). You can see the final cast of my hand+object on the left.
What my garage studio looked like when I first moved furniture in...
What it looked like after last term...although I did clean it after I took this photo =P
Not sure what colors to paint these yet. Im planning to make a wooden robot sometime.
Car modeling class was a fun relaxing class among the other two frustrating ones. I modeled my dad's old Lincoln Mark V that he bought 20 years ago and left in the garage because he loves it too much to sell it. Originally, I wanted to model a cool fancy car for my portfolio but in the end I went with something I had direct access to. Also modeling something more personal was an enjoyable experience.
The car was pretty simple to model and didn't require a lot of crazy topology although there were a few challenging parts like the back and trims. Lots of little details compared to a modern car and TRIMS. EVERYWHERE.
We ended up getting all the models done (which took over half the term) so there wasn't enough time to properly texture everything. Wish I had the time to experiment with Vray lighting. Im probably the worse at lighting...
I modeled and recycled most of the little characters and detailed while my friend set up and built the interior. He also modeled and designed our awesome fairy inspired by Lady Gaga,
(Can adjust quality in youtube)
Our "final" work-in-progress video which was included in our school's animation show. Our school was actually able to rent out a theater to play our projects which was pretty awesome.
The critique I got from my instructor this term was that I was always too focused on the drawing aspect and not the painting aspect. Also she suspected that I was colorblind at one point cause I was having trouble with my color palette HAHA.
Here are painting exercises we did in class. These are from photos and not from life.
About 15-20 minutes each for B&W ones...45 mins to 2 hrs for colored ones.
There were a lot more but half of them looked too horrendous to be posted.
First live model painting. Face proportions are all wonky. Doesn't look too bad but still too drawing-ish.
Other misc. stuff.
New render of my torso model from last year. Got rid of the shiny surf. shader.
Im currently taking a motion broadcasting graphics class...which is basically a beginners After Effects class. Our assignment was to create a cheesy 80's VHS/media logo so here's my attempt. O god the light sweep and glowing font brings back memories of the internet during the 90's when angelfire, xanga, and asianavenue were still alive.
My very first after effects project! We had to make a short "self portrait" video to introduce ourselves to the class.
Okay, that was the longest blog post I've ever done. Mission accomplished. Time to procrastinate and laze around.