Friday, October 12, 2012

Ikea x Ai collab scholarship

Our school collaborated with Ikea for a dresser design contest. Basically we had to submit a proposal, get selected in top 20, and then the final three will receive a scholarship (in different amounts). The winners will have to decorate the Ikea dressers and it will be displayed at our school's art gallery and then auctioned off with proceeds donated to a charity.

I've been having a thing for vintage/rustic dressers and furniture, I think they make a great contrasting element to a modern home interior. My original idea was to stencil a bunch of words on the side and then make the dresser look like an old sign (with layers of paints sanded off), or do something very simple like a white drawing against a dark grey background with bright yellow accents...but in the end, none of them really felt like me so I ended up drawing on instinct. The design can't be too crazy cause the winners are probably only given a short time to finish them (plus my schedule is crazy intense this term so if I get placed I might loose all my hair).

Yesterday night I miraculously managed to finish my models/renders AND my research project for earth science before midnight. I've been wanting to submit a design for this contest/scholarship, but I didn't know the deadline was so early so I didn't have any ideas in mind. I managed to get around 3 hours of sleep before I had to get up for school. It's a very last-minute design, but here it is anyway.

Do note that I drew a template with a thick black border so the actual design on a real dresser will probably look quite different.

The first design is the one submitted...I really wanted to keep some of the natural wood texture, but im kind of doubting how good it'll look in real life so I did a back-up design based on recent painting I did for my cousins restaurant. The rain on the side is far from perfect but that will be fixed. You can also see my proposal at the bottom, written with my eyes half opened. Click to enlarge thumbs.

The 'dots' on the brown sections are supposed to be upholstery nails. I love the look of them on refurnished furniture.


1 comment:

  1. Though you say it's last minute, it's a really cute design! :)

    ReplyDelete