Sunday, July 27, 2014

School works!

Looong overdue blog entry, but here are some works I did during my last two terms at Ai. I finally graduated and it still feels a bit surreal...but I've been trying to keep doing art on my free time and im hoping I can start blogging my WIPS. So here is a last "homeworks" post!!

Also here is my new official portfolio that I rebuilt before graduation. Finally got my own domain!!
www.joycefanart.com


My demo reels...I had to make two of everything because my focuses were 3D modeling and concept designing (animation/game based). My goal was to combine 3d modeling with my own concepts but I never found the time to work on major personal projects due to school and work. I spent most of my last term re-rendering and revising everything I wanted to put in my portfolio.


fanJoyce_ModelingReel from Joyce F on Vimeo.



fanJoyce_ConceptReel from Joyce F on Vimeo.


Ecorche modeling/sculpting class


Took an ecorche (anatomy) class to keep up with modeling and sculpting, but most of all I really wanted to nail down my anatomy before I graduated. I took an anatomy class during my second year but never really got anything out of it. Simply drawing and memorizing muscles didn't help much cause I couldn't visualize it in 3d form. This class was exactly what I needed. Every week we focused on a certain area of the body and our instructor was very particular about anatomical accuracy. We would keep revising our sculpt using a variety of references. It really required studying every muscle and understanding the form.


 Heres an example of my feedbacks. I revised the model at least 3 times for each body part.

Final sculpt! I didn't realize how big the feet were until my final renders...







.



Digital painting class


Learned a lot in this class. A life-changing technique I learned was to paint SMALL. Whenever I painted digitally, I would spend HOURS trying to paint everything in details with the smallest brush possible. Now I enjoy digital painting a lot more using a large loose brush and starting small (zoomed out). Also focusing on values before adding color (or just using a desaturated adjustment layer) helps a ton.


Egg studies!


Value studies using film stills.


















 Did a loooot of these quick studies- trying to match colors to the original image and using only hard edge brushes. Every week we focused on something different - portrait, environment, etc.

Wood texture studies.
Found 3 types of wood textures, drew a box or rectangle with 3 values, tried to paint the textures on.



Portfolio revisions- before & afters

Went back to something I did a few  years ago and revised them for my portfolio. Was surprised by much my approach to digital painting has changed within the last two years or so (thanks to all the painting classes I took)


Painted this during my second year. Values were a mess. Hard to see whats going on when you zoom out. Focusing too much on the little stuff. 

Repainted two months ago. Looser but easier to read, took a LOT less time to paint, and actually felt like I knew what I was doing.








After. Could even take out line work =O












.



Pre-production class

Took this awesome pre-production/concept class and was lucky enough to work with a group of amazing artists. Whats great was that we were all good at something different so the whole concept team balanced out extremely well. It was amazing watching the project grow from rough sketches to a solid concept to final models, then rigged and animated. Our character designs were a major challenge for the rigging team but they turned out awesome. Can't wait to see the final animation!!!

Our story and characters were inspired by Laurel & Hardy (comedic duo during 1930s). Had a lot of fun thinking of all the possible scenarios and storylines. 

Here are some of the works I did for this production. 
 Character explorations- rough sketches.





Character explorations stage 2











 Final characters turn-around








 Some construction drawings. I realized my technical/construction drawing skills need a lot of work. It was a good challenge though. Learned a lot.
Some environment ideas.







I painted over the models for fun. These aren't the official colors for the characters.
 Made a little clay maquette of laurel. Don't have high quality pictures yet. Took this while he was baking in the oven.
 Printed a large poster to hang in my studio! This was definitely one of my favorite projects I've worked on. Really proud of what our team achieved :)
Better idea of how big the poster is, its around 3.5 ft although it looks tiny in comparison to the large painting underneath.

















.


After Effects class


Sooo glad I took this class. Not only did I learn a lot, but I found another favorite program. Putting my demo reel together would've been a huge pain if I hadn't taken this class. Really enjoyed making some of these. 

Heres a kenetic typography video I made based on a scene from Despicable Me. 




Final project was to make a motion comic using at least 1 page of any comic.

The rest of the projects I made in this class are in my older blog entries.




Illustrations and conceptual illustrations 

See more in my portfolio

 Just a quick random drawing. I wanted to try combining 3d with 2d.



 Who knew drawing with the photoshop lasso tool would be so fun?!



 Revised some old works.
 Re-rendered my models from our Pinocchio project several terms ago.
 Made these bottle cap magnets to give away during portfolio show. On the left are my business cards (front and back)
My table! A little boring and missing the laptop I borrowed...
But im glad I made a physical portfolio because it made it easier for people to look at my works.














Its been a tough but fun journey and I feel like I've gotten more out of Ai than I'd expected. I have no regrets going there despite in all the "complaints" I've heard from other people. I would like to blog about my experience there but I think it would turn out to be a twenty page essay. Maybe someday ha! :D



Portland Bus People - Part II 

I already posted most of these in a previous entry but I ended up putting all my individual sketchbook pages into 1 huge page so everything's all mixed together. There are some new ones I haven't posted. The last time I took the bus was around 1.5 years ago...if theres anything I missed about taking the bus (which isn't much) is that I no longer get to draw interesting people :( 








No comments:

Post a Comment